17 November 2010

It’s Gedding Bedder All thuh Time

All of my classes at university were in English. Though I had an Indian professor who was sometimes difficult to understand. English is the official language of California. Xenophobes say that most people in California speak Spanish but it is really something like 25%. English is the de facto language of the US. They have no official language though xenophobes will tell you that it is English. They also claim again that most people speak Spanish but it is closer to 10%. I am not sure what they have against the “Mexicans”. Anybody from anywhere south of the US is Mexican apparently.

3 comments:

Jo said...

It's lovely to hear the South African accent. My mother was from South Africa, and I loved her accent.

Los Angeles sounds like Vancouver. I have been told Vancouver looks like Cape Town. We have a lot of South Africans here. It all goes round and round, doesn't it?

Mia said...

I've been to Vancouver and it never reminded me of Cape Town but maybe they're saying both cities have a lot of nature surrounding all that city. That's certainly true.

Mm. said...

btw, california accent:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_English