08 December 2010

How to Build a Mediocre News Outlet

[Picture © Yoko Ono]


A woman who once interviewed John inflated her own importance. She also said that the interview took place just minutes before he died, which goes against everything we know about his last day. And they played a snippet of the interview where John said that he will be turning 40 soon and Sean will be 5, future tense. John and Sean were both born on 9 October. If the interview took place on 8 December then they would already be 40 and 5, present tense. John may not have been the most educated person in the world but he knew English well enough to properly use verb tenses. Either the interviewer is full of kak or CNN played the wrong interview.


My role in society, or any artist’s or poet’s role, is to try and express what we all feel. Not to tell people how to feel. Not as a preacher, not as a leader, but as a reflection of us all.
John Lennon

4 comments:

Dumdad said...

"But I’m not a professional journalist."

Well, I am and I found this a very interesting take on the CNN coverage, which I haven't seen yet (I do watch CNN everyday).

Their choice of songs is odd. And, of course, they roll out Yesterday, which is a great song, but they might have picked The Ballad of John and Yoko which has:

Christ you know it ain't easy,
You know how hard it can be.
The way things are going
They're gonna crucify me.

I love this song and many others by John Lennon (Mother, Working Class Hero etc etc). And I'm a big Beatles fan as well. How can someone not be?!

Mia said...

I loathe CNN with a passion. Yet I continue to watch. I'm sure that's more my problem than theirs.

But I agree completely that everybody should be a Beatles fan.

Bill said...

I agree, the killer's name should not be mentioned. I don't hate him. He is obviously a very disturbed creature who should be pitied more than hated. But he won't be named by me.

I guess the self-aggrandising is partially right that her interview took place minutes before his death - at least 86,400 minutes.

JoMo said...

I listen to the CBC (our publicly funded Canadian broadcasting corp) who briefly mentioned the significance of the day and the gatherings in and near Central Park.

I agree that a birthday seems a more appropriate time to remember him.