05 April 2011

It Took Off Into the Sky Leaving a Trail of Smoke Behind It

I don’t really understand the Christian obsession with virginity anyway. It seems to be based on the belief that God knocked up a virgin to make a demigod love child. I guess if you are a man and want to be like Jesus then you have to marry a virgin. But they really don’t like the suggestion that Jesus married anybody. It seems to me that if you want to be like Jesus then your mother has to be a virgin. Good luck with that.

The Muslim obsession with virginity makes a lot more sense. It is about power and control. Men can do what they want. Women cannot. It is completely sexist and rooted in a deeply inherent misogyny but it is easier to understand.

But that is why there is chocolate and vanilla. You believe in your rules and I will believe in mine. Fortunately, my rules don’t sentence me to an eternity in hell. Whoever eventually marries me is not getting a delicate, young unblossomed flower. I will be more like a drooping daisy by the time I’m wed. I rarely date anybody who is surprised by my lack of inexperience. I’m 31, I’ve had a few marriage proposals, I’ve dated polyandrously. It would be far more shocking if I were a dainty young thing.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i would go crazy if i lived with someone who wanted me to wear clothes

my Christian parents family is strict with everything, including virgin until marriage

高伊玲 said...

說真的,從去年六月訂婚到隔月十八日結婚宴客,我根本沒時間好好保養,因為我要出外景、忙文書。根據我在公關公司工作的經驗、加上近年來跟朋友的婚顧公司配合做司儀或場控,已經辦過很多次頂級婚禮,所以我的宴客細節包括場地、化妝、佈置、餐飲、跑印刷廠全都自己一手包辦,(音樂是好友公司提供),整個人忙到胃發炎。

Mia said...

I'm not opposed to clothes at all. But I like the option of not wearing them.

I haven't even begun to plan my future wedding. I know you're supposed to dream about it from the time you're a little girl but I'm really more concerned with who I'll marry over what kind of party we'll have.