06 October 2013

Fundamentally Judgemental

David and I did some shopping after the death of my beloved Z06. It has often been said that men do not particularly enjoy shopping with women. Images are bandied about of men standing stupefied in corners whilst holding purses and mumbling football statistics to themselves.

Automobile shopping is another matter entirely. David was as giddy as a teenage girl looking at shoes when he kicked tyres and looked at engines. To be fair to teenage girls, I never actually saw him kick a tyre. But he looked at a lot of engines.

The salesmen were not as keen on showing me any engines. This may very well be the 21st century but car salesmen still see women as too feminine to have any interest in camshafts and alternators. As far as the men and more than a few women who sell cars for a living are concerned, women care more about fixing their hair than the structural dynamics of their potential conveyance. It is all very insulting to rugged outdoor types such as myself.

There is an Alanis Morissette song wherein the waiter of a fancy restaurant treats her condescendingly because she is dressed like a hobo. The message in the song is that even though she was wealthy enough to pay for not only the meal but the entire restaurant, she refrained from telling the waiter to eat it. I could relate to that while automobile salesmen were talking more to the man I was with than with me, despite the fact that I was the actual shopper. David was far more excited about looking at the cars but we were looking for me.

I am a military officer. I fly into potentially hostile environments and drag broken and bloodied bodies out of harm’s way with relatively little regard for the safety of the people around me. I am trained on the use of automatic weapons and can theoretically beat a man to death with my bare hands. I run and/or swim every single day, rain or shine. I am engaged in some form of physical activity or another more often than some people watch TV. I have climbed large mountains. Salesmen should not look at me and only see a radiant and beautiful young woman. They should also bow down to my commanding presence. Or at least realise that if I am the customer it will not help them at all to kiss my boyfriend’s ass.

To be fair, I was not at all interested in looking at engines and I was having a bad hair day.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

There is this lady on NCIS, who can kill a person 17 different ways with a paper clip. She left the show this season, Her character was an Israeli with a Chilean accent. I am sure she could also climb mountains. She was not blond however.

Do cars still have alternators...

esbboston said...

Yes! Thanks Garry for reminding me about Ziva, we should have Mia apply for an NCIS job. It is interesting that when I have Googled NCIS it displays the teleBision show before the actual organization.

Women and young girls are my main customers and I treat them with respect. If they are having a bad hair day my wife is the perfect person come see as that is her specialty. Our shop also handles bad toe days.

In a few hours I am buying an industrial embroidery machine, a 10 needle gizmo. We are expanding our printing business. Its a pretty sophisticated piece of machinery.

Anonymous said...

Ziva David, I think the character was known as although she always reminded me of that kid on the Munsters.

Mia said...

I could probably kill a person two ways with a paper clip. Assuming the paper clip is explosive.