19 June 2010

My Favourite Climbing Partner

He found a new life, got himself an education and married the woman of his dreams. He named his first two daughters after his real parents and kept searching for more information about the past while he and his wife built a future. They were the happiest couple I have ever seen. I’m sure they argued from time to time but I do not remember that. What I remember was two people who genuinely loved each other and never held back on displaying affection in public. When I was younger I had friends who were always embarrassed when their parents kissed each other or them. I never was. Probably because it happened all the time. It was completely natural to me.

3 comments:

Alissa Grosso said...

Mia, what a beautiful story. I teared up reading this. Erik's story is one of hope. From such beginnings he could have become bitter and depressed about things, instead I like that he chose to live his life to the fullest and look towards the future.

Today my father said to me that the greatest thing he did for me and my sister was stay in love with my mother. To which my mom replied, "That must have been very difficult." But despite her joking, I am thankful to have two parents who love each other and their family.

Mia said...

"The Jews are a swinging bunch of people. I mean, I've heard of persecution, but what they went through is ridiculous. But the great thing is after thousands of years of waiting and fighting and holding on they finally made it." - Sammy Davis Jr, according to Bart Simpson. I've never read his book so I don't know.

One thing I've noticed about people who truly went through hell and back is that they're always a lot more positive than I'd be. The people who whine endlessly about how hard they had it usually didn't have it so bad.

I think the best thing any father can do is love his family. That's his job. I can't understand any father who could abandon his children.

Sasha said...

Millions of my people were killed defeating those aweful facists.