08 March 2009

All Roads Lead to Home

My conscience has always been my family. I can’t bring myself to do anything I can’t tell my mother or grandmother about. When I was a child I quickly learned that anything I did would come back to my parents. Most of my education was at boarding schools and they told my parents everything, my test scores, what I ate, who my friends were, who I teased mercilessly.

When my parents left for Israel I had more freedom than most of my friends but the school officials still reported to my parents. When a friend was caught smoking on campus I had to assure them that I was not involved. My parents were 7000km away but I was still afraid to smoke because I knew I would have to face them sooner or later. Disappointing my father was always a worse fate than not looking cool to my peers.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Omnes viae Romam ducunt actually or in this case

Omnes domus Romam ducunt.

Anonymous said...

OOPS HE SAYS AS HE TURNS BRIGHT RED....


I meant

Omnes viae Domus ducunt

Anonymous said...

Self-centered people don't care about their families.

Mia said...

Alle paaie lei na Rome.

Anonymous said...

I was thinking about what you wrote about freedom.

Canada used (still is actually) to be a very puritanical place. Especially Alberta where I am from. Called the Bible Belt to the more liberal easterners. We young boys in school used to fight over National Geographic because the magazine often featured women from Polynesia and Africa. I rouge to think.....

Anyway, here is a quote that I have no clue as to meaning although it does sound erudite and wise and has freedom as its subject. I really am not one to revert to quotes. Lazy I think-- but I just got back from the dentist so I have an excuse this once.

"The only real freedom a human being can ever know is doing what you ought to do because you want to do it"

Mia said...

We used to read National Geographic looking for places we'd been.

Anonymous said...

We were not allowed the National Geographic when I was young.

MagicAlex said...

Some people only care about getting caught. They figure if they don't get caught anything's fair game.