04 March 2009

The Good Shepherd

Mr Bishara is one of those really great people most of the world will never know about. He never wanted to be rich and famous. He was not at his bakery until something better came along. Baking bread is what he loved to do. He always took pride in his work no matter how small the task and that is why his bread was so good. It is amazing to me how many people don’t take pride in their work. So many people are waiting for something else. They will start to really live once they win lots of money in a contest.

I was talking to a friend the other day who is usually upset that she can’t find the right man. She is sure that once she finds him her life can begin. I keep telling her that her life began a long time ago. This is it. This is your life right now. People who wait around for their life to start are always surprised when they are old and it is almost over. There is a Pink Floyd song about that but I don’t remember which one right now.

10 comments:

Lady Love said...

I think the Pink Floyd song is "Time", maybe?

"The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older, shorter of breath and one day closer to death". I know that song by heart.

Bakery is one of the best places on Earth and it's hard to find a good one. I hope Mr. Bishara is happy.

I didn't know about Arabs being discriminated in Israel.

Discrimination is everywhere, for everyone.

Anonymous said...

A baker is as simple as the morning light...

and this from a poem I read ....who journeyed through the night with plans
and the simple breath that kept him alive.

My contribution to your goodbye is this;

what magic with wheat and water and sometimes yeast but then too there are the times of bitter herbs....

Mia said...

Time. Thank you.
You are young and life is long
And there is time to kill today
And then one day you find
Ten years have got behind you
No one told you when to run
You missed the starting gun

There's probably some kind of discrimination in every country. Even in Israel. Even in Canada. Even in the mighty United States. One of the blogs I read is all about that.
http://nodiscrimine.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

about your lines--- are you english as in the "english way"... I know that you have probably done aliya...I had a friend who explained all of this to me... we were both lawyers and I know more than I sometimes wish to know and she spoke often of Judea and Samaria and I know a lot about that too. I have no opinion now but I was filled with it then, but circumstances made things more intense as these things were when one is younger. She lost her greatest love long before I knew her-- In Lebanon--- and I do not think that she was ever happy since.

We have drifted of course and this all happened many years ago.

Anonymous said...

The smell of fresh bread from a bakery is Heaven.

Mia said...

Quiet desperation is the English way [although Thoreau was American]. It's not my way.

When I taught English in China it was mostly American English. That's what they want there. Color, aluminum, gotten as the past participle of get, that sort of thing. I used to be bakgat Woozer but I've picked up a few bad habits on the way.

Anonymous said...

Bakgat maybe...Woozer check your spelling - is not WUESA more appropriate?

Mia said...

I've never been politically correct.

Anonymous said...

What I've always appreciated about Mia is her ability to think for herself, whether such thoughts are fashionable or not. She is also one foxxy lady.

MagicAlex said...

Reading the comments is almost as interesting as the original post.