31 July 2010

Lost in Translation

But sometimes being older and more experienced helps. I was on a test run in the AS565 with an older and very experienced flight instructor who was watching every move I made. It probably did not help that he was one of those old cranks who thinks that women should not fly. But I’m used to that type. What did help is that I think safety is more important than anything else. I did a full IFR flight plan just as I always do. I went over the WX, I did the full checklist, I did the walkaround, I made sure the fuel cap was secure. This is more important than some people realise. I checked the tie downs and tail. Just as I always do. Too many pilots are too complacent. Especially when they have more experience. Experience has told me to always check the TITS. Which is a safety acronym and has nothing to do with couture.

3 comments:

Mia said...

Confidential to Bill [if you read this]: I can't post comments at your blog. It might be a browser issue but I don't have any problems with any other blogs.

I guess it's not so confidential.

Bill said...

Thanks for letting me know. I did a test and didn't have a problem, so I can't explain it. Sorry! Speaking of odd blog foibles, the last words of every line in the post got lost. I tried it on a couple of browsers and the same thing happened. I read the post after copying it into a word processor.

Mia said...

That's weird. All the words show up on this end.