19 February 2009

And I Think It’s Gonna Be a Long Long Time

Obviously I am biased. I’m an Israeli citizen. I serve in the IDF. I want my side to win. But I don’t think it is an issue of Jews versus Muslims or Israelis versus Arabs. It is extremists versus moderates.

None of the Palestinians I know have any problems with Israel. They simply want their country to have a sovereign government recognised by the international community. I think that is what most Israelis want also. From my point of view the biggest obstacle to this is terrorist activity against Israel.

The worst thing Israeli extremists want are more settlements in Palestine. While Israeli settlements do not help, they also do not cause the deaths of innocent children. The worst thing Palestinian extremists want is the death of every last Israeli man, woman and child. I’m biased but I think killing all Israelis is much worse than building houses in Palestine.

In the propaganda war on TV and the internet between Israel and Hamas I have heard too much about who is right and who is wrong, who did what bad things to whom. Everybody is convinced they are right and as usual the people who suffer the most are the children. Not a single Israeli or Palestinian child chose this. They don’t care about what happened in 1967 or 1948 or 1500 years ago. The children of Israel and Palestine are being killed because their fathers and grandfathers can’t get over the past and live by the rules all children learn in the playground: Every other child is a potential friend if you share and play nice.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rocket Man by Elton John. Interesting title.

Anonymous said...

If terrorists shot rockets into my country they'd receive the full force of military might upon them. Israel has been VERY reserved in response.

Mia said...

I think some people are more concerned with the political incorrectness of hurting Arabs than somethign as simple as a country's self-defense.

Anonymous said...

We could solve it all overnight if we nuke the whole region.
Present company excluded.

Mia said...

I don't think that would be a very good idea.