15 July 2008

By Popular Demand: The Accident Story

As it turned out I landed against the wind. Combined with the rotation that tilted the aircraft left and it hit on side. Had I landed on the right side I wouldn’t have made it. I didn’t “crash”. The NTSB called it an “uncontrolled descent and impact with terrain”. They really hate the word crash. That impact left me with 16 broken bones, a bruised lung, torn ligaments and a body full of sore muscles. The lid’s the only thing that kept my head in one piece and even though the harness ultimately failed it kept my spine intact. Too many pilots dismiss safety gear as uncomfortable and unnecessary. I credit it with saving my life.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love it when you talk technical. Very sexy.

Anonymous said...

Great story ****
Your'e very brave.
I'd have been scared sh*tless.

Mia said...

I was too busy trying to land the aircraft to be brave.