05 January 2010

Time Passages

My grandmother was born before DVDs, digital cameras, VCRs, cassettes, 8-track tapes, LPs. They had no cameras in their mobile phones. They had no mobile phones. Their phones were not even cordless or have buttons or a rotary dial. They had to pick up a separate receiver and tell the operator who they wanted to phone. They could listen to the radio but no FM. And they did not have transistor radios until much later. They had to go outside and get their entertainment at theatres and cinemas. Without Dolby THX or any kind of stereo sound, or colour film, or synchronized sound. The big A list star in my grandmother’s day was Charlie Chaplin.

6 comments:

Kylez..aka...Mrs.P! said...

Great post. Makes you wonder why the hell we need half the stuff we have coz I can't see that we are any happier, or in the long-run really better off. Really. Its funny you wrote this post today, as I was just saying to Mr.P two days ago that our kids will live in a world where there is always internet and iPods and flatscreen tv's. They will probably never know what a vinyl record is! And they'll be lucky if there is enough easily available fuel for their entire lives, hell, we'll be lucky it lasts our lives! I know that in my lifetime there has always been portable music players, I think I was born the year after the walkman came out!

Alissa Grosso said...

My grandmother turned 90 back in September, and it is mind boggling to think of all the things she has seen in her life.

Mia said...

I doubt our children will always have internet and ipods. They'll probably see those things as antiques.

They'll say how wild it was that our computers had keyboards.

Jo said...

I suspect things were much more interesting in your grandmother's youth. Things were more organic. I think the worst thing ever to have been invented is plastic.

Please wish her a Happy Birthday from me.

Sasha said...

I took my first lover before you were born. God I feel old now.

MagicAlex said...

Time flies when you're having fun.