20 August 2010

More Current Events

Are most goyim antisemitic? I am not sure how you would quantify such a thing. Polling 100 people in Ohio is not the most representative sample. Nor are 100 people in Iran. If you could poll a billion people all over the world then maybe we would have something. Go to any website with a story about Israel or the IDF and if they allow comments then you will see some of the most racist things anybody could possibly say. But is the hate and idiocy online a reflection of offline attitudes or do people use that anonimity to say the craziest things they would never say in person?

2 comments:

Alissa Grosso said...

I've become convinced that the people who generally comment on news stories online are by and large idiots. I did not take a poll of a billion people or even 100, but when I lived in Pennsylvania I used to read the comments on the online news stories. That area had seen a large influx of people from suburban and urban areas in New York and New Jersey so naturally any bad thing that happened was the fault of these "transplants". Well, at least that's the impression you would get if you read all those comments.

I'm an optimist, so I like to think most people are open-minded and tolerant about others. The problem is that it's always the crazy, racist ones who make the news.

Mia said...

I've absolutely no doubt that most people aren't violent and hateful. But the crazies are more likely to feel the need to spread their crazy while sane people would otherwise sigh and move on.

I also think the anonymity of the internet encourages bullies who would be too afraid to say the things they say in person. Most bullies are cowards. Internet bullies are no exception.