14 June 2009

A is for Apfel

Reading online is probably the worst way to improve your English. I’m always reading articles from supposedly respected organisations that think “wet your appetite” and “raise the bar” are correct. Just yesterday I read an AP article that said “reap what you sew”. Either the writers don’t know the difference or they are relying too heavily on spell check.

Once upon a time when newspapers were printed on paper they had proofreaders to check these things. Today you click the little check mark or ABC icon and if it says all’s well then it must be. Case in point, like every other blogger I don’t have any proofreaders or editors, so when I make a mistake it is because I don’t know any better. Or I’m disregarding that particular rule because I don’t much like it. Or I’m just doing it to annoy my mother.

8 comments:

Bill said...

I've recently discovered a feature in Word 2007 that detects inappropriate use of homonyms, but as I always tell my students, the computer can check your spelling and your grammar but it can't read your mind.

I also tell them to, whenever possible, get someone else to proofread for them. I'm the worst person to proofread my own work - I know what it's meant to say, so that's what I see.

Another place not to improve your English: listening to the news. Copywriters here seem to have completely forgotten about sentences needing verbs, and I'm sick of hearing how people "watched on."

For all that though, English can be a really silly language sometimes. There's "raised in the air" and "razed to the ground." How does that work? And how is it that flammable and inflammable mean the same thing?

Bill said...

Shit! I meant homophones!
I'll get me coat.

Anonymous said...

I remember a great line from Rocky V. Rocky was discussing an earlier fight he had had with Opollo Creed. He said "Lethologically speakin' I shoulda' been out after the first round". But he was from Philadelphia.

I purposefully write badly. I do this quite a bit to change the flavour of meaning (I also do not eat enough curry). I am not as serious as you are about words. You have a careful humour and is something we call "clin d'oeil". I am much more brutish in my amusements.

Anonymous said...

Actually Mia, God invented English.

An American friend of mine explained that since the Bible is written in English, God must be English.

Mia said...

I thought God was American. Or is it Americans are God?

American preacher: I thought we were the Chosen People.
British bishop: That's only because so many people don't like you.

This is the first time in my life I've ever seen anybody say "I remember a great line from Rocky V".

There's a joke about Pat Robertson wanting to outlaw words that sound alike because they're gay.

I'm still using Word 2000.

MagicAlex said...

You're one to talk about proper English. You can't even spell color or organization :)

LadyOnABike said...

English people speak English better. Americans write it better. Canada and Australia try to play catch up.

Mia said...

What about the rest of us?