28 May 2009

Dragon Boat Day

Nobody really knows how or why 端午節 started but the most popular story is that of 屈原, a royal advisor between 320 to 300 BCE. When 屈原 fell out of favour he went into exile and wrote a lot of poetry. Either disgusted by the state of government corruption or because of changing dynasties 屈原 jumped into the nearest river and drowned. Out of respect for the poet, people raced their boats onto the river and threw food in so the fish wouldn’t eat his body.

Most of that is fantasy and today’s Dragon Boat Festival was called something else a few thousand years ago. But 屈原 really is an important poet of that period and I suppose any excuse to steam up some 糭子 is a good one.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I saw a dragon boat race in Australia. In Canberra actually. I think it had nothing to do with 端午節. I cannot remember how it ended though. I ran into a number of Australias with several stacks of beer flats and I think the soberest one of these brought me back to my hotel. I did not do particularily well at my presentation the next day. I was representing my country at the time. I did not do particularily well with my boss the next week. Thank God that time forgives all! Nota Bene: It took me about two days, but I finally figured out the comment about 12.

Mia said...

They say excessive drinking kills brain cells.

Anonymous said...

You noticed? Darn, there goes the family secret.

Jie Yi said...

端午快樂!

MagicAlex said...

Happy 端午快樂! I don't know what any of that means. I just copied and pasted.

Mia said...

You said happy twice.